Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Illinibucks

If “Illinibucks” were an item at U of I, I could see a variety of uses, anywhere from jumping in line at Espresso Royale to being able to register for classes earlier. These uses are very appealing to those many people who don’t want to wait. Expanding on where you could use the Illinibucks, you could really be able to use them at any school event. You could use them to get into the football games quicker in order to reserve your better spot in our student section. That is appealing for those who really appreciate going to our football games and have school spirit. This could also be used to Orange Krush. From my understanding, this group does not have official seats, but go on a first come fist serve basis for those who belong to the organization. With Illinibucks, you could get into the stadium quicker and reserve your front row seat to see your favorite Big Ten team. You could even use them at private establishments, most notably on campus, Chipotle or the Bars. At peak hours, you could wait from 30 min to an hour to get that precious Chipotle Burrito or even longer to get into a busy night at Red Lion. Both establishments could create a separate line that accepts Illinibucks to dodge the hassle of waiting in their regular line.

Personally, I would never see myself using Illinibucks for the reason is I would prefer to sell them. For me, waiting in line or waiting to sign up for classes is rather irrelevant because I don’t mind all that much. Typically I’m amongst friends and the wait is a pleasant excuse to make casual conversation and catch up. Most of the classes I have to take are a selection amongst many, for example, in my economics major, I can take an assortment of Econ 300 and 400 level classes, so if some fill up, there are plenty of other options to take that still interest me. The only thing I could see myself using this currency for would be possibly getting better seats for basketball season tickets, although seeing the way they have been playing this year, selling them is a significantly better option. If the administrator price for Illinibucks was too high, using a basic supply and demand graph, we can see that this would create a surplus of Illinibucks on the market as the demand for people to purchase them would be lower than the supply of them on the market. This means no one would sell them and find uses for them themselves. If the price were set too low, the supply would exceed the demand, and people would not want to sell their Illinibucks for that chosen price. This could create a black market for Illinibucks where people sell them on a different market for more of a profit.

No comments:

Post a Comment